A pun is a "play
." Puns are meant to be clever and funny. Many
jokes are actually puns.
type of figurative
in the English language.
Click Here for Step-by-Step Rules, Stories and Exercises to Practice All English Tenses
Sometimes puns are difficult to understand, even for native English speakers.
Click to get the English Short Stories Book and Workbook
There are two ways to
create a pun:
- Use words that sound the same but have different meanings.
- Use a word that has multiple meanings.
- fly = insect
- fly = move through the air
- saw = past tense of see
- saw = a tool that cuts wood
Let's look at a few examples of puns:
celebrities stay cool?
They have many fans!
This pun is using two
words that have multiple meanings
Cool can be
- cold (not hot)
- awesome and popular
can be defined as:
this pun has two meanings.
- something that you use when you are warm
- someone who
likes you and supports you
- Celebrities do not get hot because they can cool themselves
- Celebrities are popular because they have many people who
Here is another example of a pun:
she got married, she got a new name and a dress.
This is a pun using words that have the same sound but different
- When a woman marries, she changes her name and she buys a
- She also moves out of her parent's home to live with her
she gets a new address.
Math teachers have lots
American English puns
Two silkworms had a race.
They ended up in a tie.
- problems = math equations or puzzles
- problems = troubles, difficulties
- tie = finishing the race at the same time
- tie = a necktie worn by men, sometimes made from silk
I used to work at an orange juice factory, but I was canned.
To write with a broken
pencil is pointless.
- canned = fired; released from a job
- canned = put into a can like juice
A backwards poet write inverse.
- pointless = stupid, worthless
- pointless = does not have a sharp tip
The thief who stole the
calendar got 12
- inverse = backward, opposite
- in verse = in rhyme
Time flies like an arrow.
- There are 12 months on a calendar.
- The thief could be put in prison for 12 months for stealing.
Why did the turkey cross
the road? To prove he wasn't chicken!
- Time flies like an arrow. = Time flies (moves) fast like an
- Fruit flies like a banana. = Fruit flies (insects) like to
I used to be twins. My
mother has a picture of me when I was two.
- chicken = an animal
- chicken = scared
- twins = two identical children
- two = an age; two years old
- two = two people
This was an overview of puns. Now that you understand,
time to practice! Get
our ESL Books.
Get Updates, Special Offers, and English Resources