What's the Difference between "Expand"
Click Here for Step-by-Step Rules, Stories and Exercises to Practice All English Tenses
= to become bigger in size or importance.
- "His business expanded greatly throughout the
- "Balloons expand when you blow into them."
- "Our little class has expanded into a big
also means to make something else
bigger in size or importance.
- "He wants to expand his vocabulary."
- "The government is going to expand the
- "They will expand the short movie into a
The word "expend" has a completely different meaning…
= to use a lot of time, money, energy, etc.
- "James has expended all his efforts to help his
family get out of debt."
- "Beth has expended huge amounts of money to
build her dream house."
- "We have expended a lot of time and money on
promoting our products."
In summary, to expand
is to grow, and to expend
is to use.