What's the Difference between "Expand"
Click Here for Step-by-Step Rules, Stories and Exercises to Practice All English Tenses
= to become bigger in size or importance.
- "His business expanded greatly throughout the
- "Balloons expand when you blow into them."
- "Our little class has expanded into a big
also means to make something else
bigger in size or importance.
- "He wants to expand his vocabulary."
- "The government is going to expand the
- "They will expand the short movie into a
The word "expend" has a completely different meaning…
= to use a lot of time, money, energy, etc.
- "James has expended all his efforts to help his
family get out of debt."
- "Beth has expended huge amounts of money to
build her dream house."
- "We have expended a lot of time and money on
promoting our products."
In summary, to expand
is to grow, and to expend
is to use.
Get Updates, Special Offers, and English Resources
Please share this page with others: