5) Answer Key
If you are over the moon, it means you are extremely
happy. You might be so happy that you feel like you could float
The phrase "on top of the world" means being very happy and
successful. Imagine if you were on top of a tall mountain. You
would be able to see everything around you and feel really good
about yourself. That's what it feels like to be on top of the
When we say someone is in seventh heaven, it means they are
extremely happy. It's like being on cloud nine, but even better.
Imagine the happiest place you can think of - that's what it's
like to be in seventh heaven.
If you are like a kid in a candy store, it means you are really
excited about something and can't wait to have it. A kid in a
candy store is someone who is really excited about all of the
candy options. It's like being in a place where there are a lot of
things that you want and it's hard to choose just one.
If you are a happy camper, it means you are content and satisfied
with what you have or what you are doing. It's like being in a
good mood because everything is going well.
A happy camper is someone who is happy with their current situation. They might be camping in the woods and enjoying nature, or they might be at home on their comfortable sofa. Either way, they are content and happy with what they have.
"I am on a camping trip. I have all the equipment I need and I am surrounded by nature. Everything is perfect - the sun is shining and the birds are singing. I am a happy camper!"
"Is there a problem with your hotel room?" "No, all good! I am a happy camper."
"He agreed to the deal, but he was definitely not a happy camper."
The idiom "happy bunny" means that someone is very happy and
content. For example, if a child got a new toy and they were
playing with it happily, you could say they are a "happy bunny".
If someone is "not a happy bunny", it means they are not happy. For example, if everyone got a raise except for you, you will probably not be a happy bunny.
"In high spirits" means someone is happy and excited. They might
be laughing a lot and having fun. Imagine if you were at a party
with all your friends. You would be in high spirits.
This phrase means to have a good time and enjoy yourself. Imagine
you are at a party with all your friends. There is music playing,
you are eating, dancing, and chatting with everyone. You are
having a ball.
"Have the time of your life" means enjoying yourself so much that
it feels like the best time you have ever had. This phrase is used
to describe a very positive and fun experience.
I used to work in a small office. It wasn't the best job, but I
didn't have any major complaints. I was a happy camper.
But then I was suddenly fired! I wasn't a happy bunny.
I was so upset that I decided to buy a lottery ticket. And guess what? I won the lottery! I couldn't believe it! I was on cloud nine. Everything was perfect. I was in seventh heaven.
In fact, I was so over the moon that I was like a kid in a candy store. I was jumping up and down and laughing. My friends were in high spirits too. We were all having a ball.
I decided to travel the world. I wanted to have the time of my life. I went to so many amazing places and met so many interesting people. It was the best decision I ever made. I simply felt on top of the world!
A) Complete the missing word in each idiom:
1. I felt like a kid in a __________ store.
2. He is not a happy __________.
3. They were in __________ spirits after winning the game.
4. We had a __________ at the party.
5. I am going to have the *time* of my life on this vacation.
6. He is not a __________ camper after finding out that he didn't get the raise.
7. I am on __________ nine after hearing the news!
8. She is __________ the moon about her new job.
9. We are in __________ heaven since we won the lottery.
10. He is on top of the __________ after becoming the CEO.
B) The following idioms have a mistake. Can you spot all the mistakes?
1. I was not a happy rabbit when I found out that I was not invited.
2. They were all in tall spirits after the party.
3. She is over the sun about her new car.
4. Are you still on cloud eight after your meeting with the pop star?
5. I am in ninth heaven since I met you.
6. He is not a happy traveler since his team lost the game.
7. We are like kids in a cake store when we go to the amusement park.
8. We were on top of the universe since hearing about our nomination.
9. I am in high moods because I am going on vacation tomorrow.
10. Have a party at the dance!