Into vs. In To
What is the difference?
and in to
are two commonly
in the English
language. When do you use each one?
Click Here for Step-by-Step Rules, Stories and Exercises to Practice All English Tenses
Although we say these the same way, they have different meanings.
Into (one word)
We use "into
as a preposition
usually answers the question, "Where?"
Although there are many definitions of "into," the most common
1. toward the inside; in the direction of
2. hitting or touching
- The fox crawls into
(The fox crawls where? Into a hole.)
- He looks into
(He looks where? Into her eyes.)
- He drove his car into the
(He drove his car where? Into the tree.)
- The bird flew into
(The bird flew where? Into the window.)
- He put his vote into the
(Where did he put his vote? Into the box.)
also mean to transform or change.
- The caterpillar changes into a beautiful butterfly.
- The little girl turned into a princess.
- He grew into a responsible adult.
- James turned into a strong man.
In to (two words)
This is actually two completely different words that sometimes fall
next to each other in some sentences.
1. in => adverb
- I went in to use the telephone.
- The dog goes in to get a drink.
- She reaches in to get the mail.
- I called in to remind him I am arriving today.
- She came in to tell her about the news.
Grab a pencil and paper and take this short quiz to check your
understanding. Then, scroll down to see the answers.
1. She threw the paper __________ [into/in to] the
2. I ran __________ [into/in to] the store to buy
3. They moved the wedding __________ [into/in to]
avoid the storm.
4. The repair man came __________ [into/in to] fix
5. The girl turned __________ [into/in to] a
1. She threw the paper into
the trash can.
2. I ran into
the store to buy some milk.
3. They moved the wedding in to
4. The repair man came in to
5. The girl turned into
These were the differences between into
and in to
time to practice! Get
our ESL teaching books.
Get Updates, Special Offers, and English Resources
Please share this page with others: