Prepositions Starting with
"L" - "O"
This series of lessons will list and define some of the most common
in the English language.
Click Here for English Short Stories for Beginners or Children
Many preposition examples will be included with each definition.
There are about 150 prepositions in the English language. We will learn
some of the most common prepositions.
is a word or phrase that comes before a noun or pronoun
to show its connection to the other words in the sentence.
can show place, time, position, or method.
Prepositions Starting with
"L" - "O"
1. similar to; comparable to
- Don't act like
- That perfume smells like
- He looks like
1. close to; next to
- The train will arrive near
- I will wait for you near
- There's a palm tree near
1. besides, other than, in comparison
- I am the tallest person in my family, next to
(My mom is taller than I am. I am second tallest.)
to you, John is the highest paid employee.
(You are the only employee who makes more money than John.)
2. beside, on the side of
- I parked my car next to
- The bride walks next to
- The goat is sitting next to
This tiny word has many uses as a preposition. Here are a few of the
most common uses.
1a. belonging to or connected with someone or something
- The final score of
last night's football game was 35-12.
- Do you know the price of
a movie ticket?
- The President of
the United States will be visiting our city.
1b. belonging to or connected with a group of people or things
- Are you one of
- Please hand me one of
- The three of
us flew to China last year.
2. from a certain place
- The residents of
my town built the city park.
- Some plants of
Hawaii are endangered.
- The people of
Mexico speak Spanish.
3. used with measurements and time
- My birthday is the sixteenth of
- You must be 18 years of
age to attend.
- Mom bought three bags of
1. remove; shows something has been separated or removed
- Please take off
your muddy shoes before coming in the house.
- She cut all of her hair off.
- I took your name off
2. away from a price or time
- Everything is 20% off the
- The coupons took $5 off
- The shortcut will knock 10 minutes off
3. down or away from
- Stay off
the wet cement!
- I live 15 miles off
the main road.
- The bird fell off the
Here is another tiny word with many uses as a preposition. Here are
some of the most common uses of the word on
1. covering something; part of the surface
- Most people put butter on
- Put your jacket on
before you go outside.
- I wear my grandmother's ring on
my left ring finger.
- I need to check out a book on zebras.
- Did you see that television series on Thomas
- The teacher gave us an exam on
3. used to show a date or day something will happen or
- Our next meeting will be on
- Ben saw a deer on
his way to work yesterday.
- I have a date on
4. used to show a type of transportation
- Tony was on
the bus this morning.
- Didn't you see me on
- I live to travel on
1. moving to a position on something
- Can you copy those songs onto
- Tom dropped his ice cream onto
the clean floor.
- I climbed onto
the horse's back.
1. on the other side; next to; across from
- Put the stamp opposite
- Our house is opposite the
- During the interview, she sat in the chair opposite
1. opposite of inside; in a place near
- Meet me outside
- Put your name on the outside
of the envelope.
- Leave the dog outside
1. covering; on top of
- She is wearing a sundress over
- Lay the blanket over
- I put my hand over
her mouth to keep her quiet.
2. to, from, or at a higher place (not touching); above
- The geese flew over
- I saw the clouds coming over the
- He likes to cook marshmallows over
3. going across; from one side to the other side
- We flew over
the Atlantic Ocean.
- I just crossed over
the border of Mexico.
- Follow the bridge over the
4. more than
- I waited at the office over
- The swimming pool is open if the temperature is over
- She does not date men over
- A foot of snow fell over
the last three days.
- He has grown up over
- We talked over
These were Preposition Examples starting with "C" through "I". Now that
them, it is
time to practice! Get
our ESL Books